Placement , Murchant Navy
The opportunity to travel around the world and the lure of adventure on the high seas, besides the possibility of high remunerations attracts many youngsters to make a career in the Merchant Navy. Merchant Navy is different from the navy in the sense that it offers commercial services, as opposed to the navy, which is largely involved in the defence of a nation.
The Merchant Navy is the backbone of international trade, carrying cargo all over the world. Merchant ships employ a huge number of workers to carry and deliver goods from one country to another. Without the merchant navy, much of the import-export business would come to a grinding halt!
A career in the merchant navy is considered a glamorous job, especially by the people who have been bitten by the travel bug. It offers an opportunity to visit new and exotic places all around the globe. Merchant Navy career is not only monetarily rewarding but also satisfying and a quite challenging.
- The eligibility for joining merchant navy is finishing class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Candidates have to be unmarried Indian citizens (male or female).
- Normal vision is required but glasses up to plus or minus 2.5 may be allowed.
- Admission is through an entrance followed by a screening test and a main written examination.
- After clearing the test, there is an interview and a medical test.
- You also need to complete a ship-training course prior to the employment. The course is generally short-term where the candidates are taught basic security concerns of voyaging.
There are some private institutes, which offer training for merchant navy as well. These institutes prepare students for jobs such as deck cadets and marine engineering jobs.
How to Join Merchant Navy After 12th
After class 12, you are eligible to study the following merchant navy courses:
- B.Sc. Nautical Science
- B.E. Marine Engineering
- B.E. Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering
- B.E. Petroleum Engineering
- B.E. Mechanical Engineering
- B.E. Harbour & Ocean Engineering
- B.E. Civil Engineering
- B.E. Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- B.Sc. Marine Catering
- Electro Technical Officer Course
How to Join Merchant Navy After 10th
Merchant navy courses that you can pursue after 10th include:
- Near Coastal Voyage (NCV)
- Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS)
- Commercial Diving
- G.P. Rating
Entrance Exams for Merchant Navy
After completion of 12th class, interested candidates can appear for the Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test (IMU CET) or the All India Merchant Navy Entrance Exam. This exam is generally conducted in the month of May. The other exams that can also serve as a gateway for Marine Engineering are JEE, MERI Entrance Exam, TIMSAT.
- 10th for GP rating Course.
- For Deck cadet and Engine cadet: 10+2 with PCM 60%.
Application for the exam can be done online. Along with the application form, applicants have to submit a brief summary of 100 words that states why they wish to apply for Merchant Navy.
This exam is an MCQ pattern test spanning over subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English, General Knowledge and Reasoning.
Merchant Navy - Job Prospects
There are enormous employment opportunities in this field. Candidates who have finished the basic course in merchant navy can get jobs very easily through various consultants and placement agencies. Merchant navy fleet consist of cargo ships, container ships, barge carrying ships, tankers, bulk carriers, refrigerators ships, passenger ships, as well as roll off/roll on ships. The possibility of finding employment in cargo ships is more as compared to the others.
Companies that run merchant ships require trained people who can operate and maintain the ships. Some of these companies are: Chevron and Mobil of USA, Wallem Ship Management of Hong Kong, Denholm of UK, K Line, Bibby Ship Management, d'Amico etc. India too has its shipping companies, such as the Shipping Corporation of India, Great Eastern Shipping, Essar and Chowgule Shipping. Trained people are required for the three main departments of the ship: the deck, the engine and the service department.
In India, job opportunities are also available in government and private shipping companies like Shipping Corporation of India, clearing houses, del credere agents etc.
Merchant navy job profiles
- Deck officer (navigation officer)
- Electro-technical officer (ETO)
- Ratings - ratings are skilled seafarers who help all the officers with daily tasks
- Catering & hospitality crew (pursers, stewards, chef, housekeeper etc.)